Forest is the authentical factory of wood, and contribute a wide range of beneficts to society including:
- Using solar energy to convert carbon dioxide and other materials into wood.
- Capturing and storing carbon in wood – acting as a carbon sink.
- Protecting soil, water and wildlife.
- Providing a recreational resource for people.
Adding to the atural beauty of the landscape
Energy consumption for transforming:
- 1 ton of wood: 430 Kw.h
- 1 ton of Stee: 2.700 Kw.h
- 1 ton of Aluminium 17.000 Kw.h
Did you know the forest area in north europe is increasing thanks to the timber industry?
Wood is a material manufactured by nature with a high degree of specialization and complexity. It can be considered as a bundle of tubes oriented in the longitudinal direction whose components are:
- Lignin. constitutes the mass of the tubular wall, with a compressive strength of 2400 Kg/cm2 (higher than the compressive strength of concrete)
- The cellulose, helically rolled to the tubular wall,
with a tensile strength of 10,000 Kg/cm2 (higher
than that of steel)
The combination of these two materials gives it a surprising economy of weight when compared to its resistance. The new composite-type materials copy this strategy by combining materials with different properties that complement each other.